Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sketchbook Project Breakthrough

I signed up months ago to participate in the 2012 Sketchbook Project, my sketchbook arrived in the mail, and I never opened the package.  It got shuffled around, never exactly lost, but certainly not in a particularly prominent spot.  My problem?  The theme I chose was stumping me.  I thought I was being smart - "In 10 minutes..." sounded perfect for me!  Especially when my first thought was, I'll fill the book with sketches done in 10 minutes, that should be nice and easy since that's about all the time I ever get to myself in one day.

Mmm hmmm... and it sat.  Just doing a sketch in 10 minutes wasn't exciting me.  Plus, I wanted the book filled with a bit more polished pages than 10 minute sketches.  I also needed a bit more direction:  a 10 minute sketch, ok, but of what?  I saw some pages from someone else's book of these great watery scenes.  So of course I started to wish I had chosen her theme (I forget what it was).  Suddenly, every other theme choice seemed like a better choice than the one I had made.  It seems my life is constantly a matter of "the grass is greener on the other side."  Okay, yes, that's because I always make it that way.  So I pushed myself to think outside the box, thanks to the note on the website and the rules that came with the book: "The themes are supposed to be a starting point, not a restriction, so remember to keep an open mind and consider the theme to be a guide."

Then I remembered a project we did in college, early on, in a typography class.  I love(d) typography (no, not topography - as in "the art or practice of graphic delineation in detail usually on maps or charts of natural and man-made features of a place or region especially in a way to show their relative positions and elevations" as per Webster's dictionary - though I do love a good map) TYPE-ography!   The assignment was to make a graphic (yay graphic art!) representation of a word, overlapping the letters on each other, and then painting in the shapes created by the overlapping letters with shades and tints of the same color (or hue, to those of you keeping score on my artistic lingo).  I loved working on that project, every aspect of it, from picking the font, to arranging the letters, to learning how to mix and use gouache properly.

So I realized, why not create a book of different ways to represent "10" and "minutes" in the same fashion as that assignment from long ago?  And my idea was born!  Granted I have yet to start working on it, but now that I know what I'm doing I'm very excited to get started.  AND I have my whole girls' weekend away next week to work on it!  (Well, that and a few other 3D projects.)  So please stay tuned for previews of my sketchbook work coming in the next few days and weeks!  The whole thing is due, postmarked, by the end of January so I do have some time to finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment